SORT IT aimed at developing new technologies for a more efficient and profitable sorting of recovered paper and board from various collection systems. These included the development of new sensors, new physical separation devices such as robots and new sorting concepts.
Extensive life cycle studies were carried out to assess the environmental, economic and social benefits by the Sustainable Solutions group at Innventia.
The new sorting devices were implemented into an industrial sorting chain. Full scale trials with sorting of recovered paper from different sources were performed and investigation on paper machines was simulated.
The project's dissemination and communication plan encompassed conventional dissemination activities, introduction of new findings to the market and production of foreground for the development of the European environmental policy.
Research organizations and universities
- Papiertechnische Stiftung (DE)
- Centre Technique de l'Industrie des Papiers, Cartons et Celluloses (FR)
- Innventia AB (SE)
- Universitatea Tehnica "Gheorghe Asachi" Iasi (RO)
- Instituto Tecnológico del Embalaje Transporte y Logística (ES)
- Bumaga BV (NL), Leader WP4
- Bollegraaf Recycling Machinery (NL)
- EVK DI Kerschhaggl GmbH (AT)
- Rauch Recycling Dienstleistungs GmbH (AT)
- Vrancart S.A. Adjud (RO)
- Norske Skog AS (NO), Leader WP5
- RTT Systemtechnik GmbH (DE)
- Papeles y Cartones de Europa S.A. (ES)
Start Date: 2008-05-01
Duration: 42 months
Project Cost: 4.16 million euro
Project Funding: 2.87 million euro
Contract Type: Small or medium-scale focused research project
End Date: 2011-10-31